"This is probably top of the list for our favourite dish in Vietnam or the world!."
1. Bun Bo Nom Bo 67 Hang Dieu, Old Quarter
This is probably top of the list for our favourite dish in Vietnam or the world!. Rice noodle, served cold with amazing flavours such as mint, peanut and fried beef. You will not be disappointed. The price for this dish is 55000VND, which is a little more than your usual street food price but it's worth every penny. Jason always wants seconds.
2. Xoi Yen 35b Nguyen Huu Huan
This is a must try also. Sticky rice with or without corn topped with meat such as shredded chicken or pork. I can't remember the exact price here but I think with two drinks we paid around 90000VND.
3. Bun Rieu Cua 11 Hang Bac, Old Quarter
A dish of rice noodles, with a tomato based soup, filled with tofu and some crab meat paste accompanied with salad leafs and mint for you to add into the dish. It's tasty and nice for something a bit different. It's a little hole in the wall so keep your eyes peeled for it.
4. Banh My Pate Ngo Huyen, the lady is right at the end of Ngo Huyen where it meets Ly Quoc Su, Old Quarter.
This is where you see some of the French influence in Vietnam. Banh My is a delicious, light and French baguette. It's filled with tomato, cucumber, coriander, pate, pork. Sometimes dairy lea and you can also have an omelette in it! So tasty and very cheap! 20000VND for one! It's 25000VND with egg.
5. Chao Ngo Huyen, opposite the Banh My lady.
I'm a massive congee fan. Since having the best congee in Kuching I've been searching for one similar but nowhere has come close. This however is pretty good! I was happy to find it. Chao here is known as rice soup but it's basically rice porridge. It usually comes with minced pork but I've had it with beef also, there is a vegetarian option. You get a chopped churros on the top. It's delicious! Again very cheap at 25000VND per dish.
6. Coffee Shop(with a view) 11 Hang Gai, Old Quarter
Head here for delicious fruit juices, coffee and tea. The view is of Hoan Kiem Lake. Here you can find peace in the bustling city of Hanoi. The prices of the drinks vary from 20000VND up. The front of the shop is two clothes shops. There is a narrow alley where you will see people driving through with their motorbikes. Follow them as they are heading for the coffee shop. There are many floors and seating areas so explore the place for the best seat and view.
7. Bun Cha 1 Hang Manh, Old Quarter
Rice noodles with grilled pork. You will be served the dishes of rice noodles, pork, broth and salad leaves. You then add each of these into your dish. It's full of lovely flavours. This dish is not our favourite but it might be yours so make sure you try it.
8. Pho Hang Vai right at the end where it almost joins Phung Hung.
If you get to the end of the street you've gone too far. This little hole in the wall can easily be missed. The chef is bald so keep your eyes peeled for him. Yes you can get Pho all over Hanoi but this place is a little gem. We had Pho Loi, which means the meat is more lean. If you want to eat where the locals eat head here. Afterwards we sat and talked with some war veterans. The price was 45000VND.
9. Lemon tea and other drinks Cho Gao. There is no street number but you should be able to find it. Cho Gao is two small side streets. The tea place is the second street if Cho Gao is on your right. It doesn't look like a coffee shop. It looks like an empty tiled shop unit, you will see the locals sat on the plastic seats drinking tea. The drinks are made opposite. You can even have your shoes shined whilst you sit and enjoy your tea.
On the streets of Hanoi you will see people sat on the pavement drinking various drinks of tea and coffee. This place is one of my favourite places to grab a lemon tea and sit with the locals. Take a deck of cards with and soak in your surroundings. I think the tea is about 15000VND or 20000VND
10. Banana fritters On the corner of Bat Dan where it joins Hang Ga
These are amazing! 10000VND each.
11. Kem Dui 29 Hang Than Street.
This is a fresh young coconut filled with ice cream then caramel and shaved coconut on top. Need I say anymore? Nope it's amazing! 65000VND
12. Pho Chicken and Spicy Chicken Salad
65 Lan Ong, Old Quarter It opens at 6pm
We had this on our last evening in Hanoi. Thank you to our beautiful friend Trang for taking us here. We had been searching for a dish just like this the whole time we were in Vietnam. Both these dishes were DELICIOUS! The dish was full of chicken and had so many amazing flavours, chilli, coriander, wow! It's not pho as you would know it. You must try it! It's literally a hole in the wall so don't miss it!
Hope you enjoy this food tour! Let me know how it goes.